Friday, June 3, 2011

Four Months and Counting...

I went home to Hendersonville for two days. During that time I:
1. Mailed my deposit and contract to the Allandale.
2. Met with my photographer and worked out our contract.
3. Found my vintage marriage license.
4. Showed Mom what kind of place settings I'm looking at for the tables.

Oh, and I found my dress and veil.

No big.

Perhaps I have watched too many "Say Yes to the Dress" episodes, but I imagined dress shopping would be so much easier than what it has been.
In my head I'd put on the dress, everyone would weep, and it would be the perfect price.
Bing, bang, done.

It was not that simple.

Initially in February I had won a dress through a Glamour Magazine sweepstakes for David's Bridal.

Then UPS delivered the voucher to the wrong apartment. Since I had signed a voucher, Glamour could not replace it.

Disheartened, I tried to look at the bright side that perhaps I was not supposed to wear a David's Bridal gown, and my dream dress was instead in some bridal boutique. I found a few dresses I liked in Knoxville, and when my sisters (Shelby and Suzanne) and mother came in for my graduation, we visited the shop. Unfortunately, no one cried, the one dress I liked was WAY over budget, and we left.

My first love.


I looked in Johnson City with Denise, and found one contender, but I still didn't have that... magical feeling. I began wondering that maybe if there wasn't really any magic to finding a dress, and it was all romanticized in my head.

During this visit to Hendersonville, Mom, Eunie (my mom's best friend), Suzanne, and I went to check out middle Tennessee's selection. We found one dress made by Allure. It was what I had imagined in my head, and in fact, one girl walked by me while I had it one and said, "Very Kate Middleton."




I believe she was paid by the staff to do so.

It was very beautiful, and I was 90 percent positive it was the one. The only issue was the price: 1100 before alterations. The quote the seamstress then gave was about $300 due to all the lace on the gown.

I left confident that I would find it used online for under $1000.

We also went to a little boutique that was a "TheKnot.com Pick 2011." Fortunately enough, they were having a sample sale until Saturday. I tried on a few dresses, including one Marisa gown that was on sale for $500.

It was made of soft silk organza with lace details around the top, side, and along the train. It reminded me of a romantic, ethereal tea party dress.

Don't ask where the tea party came from... I honestly don't know.

The only issue I had with it was the GIANT FLOWER over my left breast. The lady said it could be removed, but she kept trying to tuck into the top of the modified sweet heart neckline.

We left without the dress.

Upon returning home, I learned that the Allure gown was not available online any cheaper, and if I had to order it, I would not receive it in time. Now I was faced with the dilemma of if I loved the Marisa gown more, or if I just liked the price.

I woke up this morning to Mom lying next to me. Eunie was on her way over to pick us up. She felt I needed to try on the Marisa gown one more time with her veil. I told Mom there was no time to make the hour drive, as she had to be at work at noon and I had to be home in time for work at 5.

We left anyways.

Here's what you need to know about Eunie. She is the definition of a genteel Southern woman. She hails from "Al-luh-bam-uh" and is super traditional, feisty, and full of what I would call "spit-fire."

Anyways, she rolls up in her Cadillac and we head off for Cool Springs. Mom is calling the shop like crazy to make sure they will hold the dress for me.

I'm not even sure if I was as excited as they were.

We get to the store, and the nice shop ladies have the dress waiting. They even had preemptively removed that God-awful flower and the tags.

I knew before I was zipped up it was my dress. I simply had to have pressed to my body and I knew it was my wedding gown.

I stepped out and on to the pedestal and Eunie was unfolding her delicate lace veil. They intially pinned it awkwardly on my head like a hat and I was trying to find a nice way to say, "Thanks, but no thanks." I voiced how I would rather it sit back on my head, flat, and the shop lady took the initiative and bobby-pinned it the way I preferred.

And then it happened. The crying. I started. Mom started. Eunie revealed the pearl necklace her grandmother had been giving the day of her wedding and weepily told me she had asked her ninety-something year old mother if I could borrow it for my wedding.

More tears came. Another bride who was trying on dresses near me eyed me warily. I didn't care though.

I was wearing the dress I was going to marry Matt in.

Mom wrote the check and we left, the dress safely in my arms the whole ride home.

To recap: I have now found my venue, dress, and photographer for $2500. I have literally used half of my budget, and the last big expense we have is food.

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment